Saturday, June 07, 2014

Handmade Canberra...

I've had a thoroughly lovely day exploring the Handmade Markets today with my friend Cathy.

I love going to these markets and to the gorgeous Handmade Shopfront in the City. 

The markets allow a broader range of designers and artisans to sell their wares and each market finds new vendors trying to temp you to buy.

Today I was quite restrained.  However, there were cards from Twice Designs - I love their Thank You cards.



I bought a scarf from Material Pleasures.  I first discovered Material Pleasures when I started working at the ANU in 1998. The ANU student market was one that Material Pleasures attended and I was thrilled to find something in my size.  Today we were captivated by some gorgeous coats and a bright pink pair of Lacroix shoes! ("Lacroix sweetie!").  They were in my size, but I didn't dare try them on. (I would have had to buy them and honestly, what would I do with bright pink Lacroix shoes anyway?!?)

I discovered Big Sistah, Little Sistah at the last markets in March this year.  They make lovely clothes and feature plus sizes.  Among my purchases today, two tunics, including this one.

Look Mama is a company with a sense of humour.  I was particularly looking for this card and I bought a few copies.



Another vendor I discovered at the last markets is Super Trooper Studio.  I love their work, especially their super places collection.  Work colleagues have received their magnetic bookmarks as gifts.



See also: Melbourne, Sydney...


There were many other stalls visited.  Another favourite is Two Alike (https://www.facebook.com/TwoAlikeDesigns).  We love their toy penguins!

Some favourites weren't there today including Ink & Weave. I love Caroline's designs.  We have this design in our house:


As well as viewing all the gorgeous wares, Cathy and I had a wonderful day of walking (must wear better shoes next time), chatting and food.  It was perfect really. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I remember the ANU markets! I think they were on a Thursday. We would walk down from art school to buy our clothes from Material Pleasures.