Sunday, May 24, 2015

Eurovision 2015

I feel as if I am the only person who is not a Eurovision tragic today.

I've never watched the broadcast, nor have I been particularly engaged with the event.

I was slightly bewildered when I heard that Australia would be participating in Eurovision this year. Australia? In a European song contest. Huh?

But I will confess that today I'm proud of what Australia has achieved in Eurovision. A top 5 finish. Fabulous.  I didn't see Guy Sebastian's performance, but I have heard the song.  I like it. 

I think Australia in Eurovision makes sense - in a weird kind of a way.  SBS has broadcast the contest for 30 years.  Around 25% of Australia's population was born overseas. Of those, 44% come from Europe.  These figures do not account for Australians who were born here to immigrant parents, of which there are many.

If you wanted more evidence of Australia's multicultural 'melting pot', you need only look at Guy Sebastian himself.  According to Wikipedia, "... 
Guy Sebastian was born in... Malaysia... His father ... was also born in Malaysia and is of Sri Lankin Tamil descent with distant colonial Portuguese roots, while his mother ... is of English and Portuguese descent and was raised in India. ..."

How marvellous is it to have an Australian, born in Malaysia, competing in Europe's premiere pop song contest?

As the song says "Tonight's so good".



Link refs:



No comments: